When it comes to advertising campaigns, some are forgotten soon after they’re seen and others are unforgettable. The ideas that you never forget are sometimes referred to as “sticky ideas,” simply because they stick with you over time.
There’s a process that can be used to craft ideas that will “stick” with your intended audiences. Here are the key elements:
- Keep it simple. It’s hard to make ideas stick in our chaotic environment. Strip your idea down to its most critical essence.
- Do the unexpected. Break an obvious pattern. Communicate your message in a way that surprises your audience.
- Get to the point. Abstraction makes it harder to understand an idea and to remember it.
- Establish credibility. Earn trust by demonstrating your expertise. Details matter.
- Appeal to emotions. Appeal to your audience’s self-interest, but also appeal to their identities – not just who they are, but who they want to be.
The next time you need to make your advertising ideas stand out and become “sticky,” try this system. It really works.